I don’t know about you, but when it is really hot and sunny outside I want to be outside enjoying it! Lovely Washington days, like we’ve been having this past week, call for quick and easy recipes and limited time in a hot kitchen. One of my favorite homemade snack recipes is perfect to make and enjoy on a warm day, plus it is healthy and delicious as well! The fruit salsa recipe is easily adaptable to accommodate your favorite fruits, or whichever fruits are in season, and requires minimal prep and no cooking. So take a few minutes to whip up this tasty snack, then enjoy a sunny afternoon outdoors with friends and family!
Yield: 5 cups
1 Whole- Pineapple, peeled, cored and diced small
1 Whole- Shallot, minced
1 Small to Medium- Red Bell Pepper, minced
1 Cup- Fresh Raspberries
1 Tbsp.- Lemon or Lime Juice
As Needed- Sugar or Honey
1) Once all the fruits and vegetables have been washed and diced, combine pineapple, shallot, peppers and raspberries together in a bowl and stir well.
2) Add lemon or lime juice and stir. Add sweeteners as desired—the more ripe and sweet the fruit is, the less sugar or honey you will need to add. Sometimes no additional sweetener is needed.
3) Let the fruit salsa sit for a bit for flavors to mingle.
4) Enjoy with homemade cinnamon chips!
1 Package- Whole Wheat Tortillas
1/2 Cup- Granulated Sugar
1/2 Tbsp- Cinnamon
1/3 Cup- Vegetable Oil
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon, mix thoroughly and set aside.
3) Using a pastry brush, lightly oil one side of all the tortillas- just enough for the cinnamon & sugar mixture to stick (you don’t have to use all of the oil).
4) Once lightly oiled, sprinkled cinnamon & sugar mixture over to lightly coat the flour tortillas (you don’t have to use all of the sugar mixture either).
5) Once sugared cut the flour tortillas into triangles (about 12 per tortilla) and lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet. You may need to bake them in multiple batches depending on the size of your baking sheet.
6) Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool completely and enjoy with fruit salsa.