Dear Aleph, Oded, and Staff Parents,
Ahh, its Friday and Shabbat is coming! Almost all of the Odedim are at camp, and the Aleph campers arrive on Sunday! Staff week has gone very well; our staff has been well trained to keep our campers safe and happy and to be fantastic Jewish educators. We’ve run sessions on First Aid and CPR (certified by the American Red Cross), camper care, challenge course, the waterfront and Peulat Sababa (our new Jewish education initiative). We have also spent a lot of time planning all the camper activities. In addition, the Anti-Defamation League and BBYO gave a great seminar on bullying, our number one focus this summer. This week the staff had fun, too. — They went bowling, went on a camp out, had a luau and had some great bonding time.
I also wanted to take a moment and remind you of a few important details:
- This year we will post all camp photos on our website, NOT on the Bunk1 website.
- PLEASE BE ON TIME FOR BUSES! Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the buses’ departure on Sunday. We will leave ON TIME, so make sure you get to the bus early. If your camper misses the bus, you will be required to drive your child to camp.
- Canadian campers must give the bus staff his or her valid passport prior to boarding the bus, and their parents must have a completed and signed the border crossing form. Canadian families, remember that this year the pickup and drop off will be at the North Parking Lot of Oakridge Centre, across from The Bay.
- The packing list is on page 29 of the Parent Handbook, which can be found in the Parents Center.
- Any campers that do not have their medical forms (the medical form completed in full and signed by your child’s doctor, the Clinic and Hospital Form and a copy of your insurance card or a credit card to be used if necessary at the hospital for our Canadian and Israeli campers) on file will not be allowed to board the bus. These forms are accessed via the Parent Center on our website. If you have not done so, be sure to emailor fax (206.447.2629) your forms to us.
- Campers should eat prior to boarding the buses. The charter company does not permit food or drinks on the buses. The only exception applies to campers departing from Canada or Eastern Washington, who may bring a cold dairy sack lunch. The bus will stop for lunch/rest stops on the way.
- If you are driving your camper to Camp, please drop them off between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.
- I will send you an email on the first day of Aleph session informing you of their arrival and cabin number.
- If you have any issues, comments or concerns please contact our parent liaison Michelle.
For first-time campers (or any campers), please send mail before they even leave for Camp, so mail is there waiting for them on the first day. Write letters focusing on the positive, not focusing on how much everyone misses them. It is not appropriate to break bad news to your child through mail while at Camp. When writing to your child, please include their full name and cabin number. Please remember to send your child with plenty of stamps and postcards or envelopes.
We can’t wait to see the campers at Camp, and start another wonderful Camp Solomon Schechter summer!!