For me, camp is to summer as peanut butter is to jelly; two things that just make each other better! Or rather, growing up, camp seemed to be paired together with peanut butter more often than it ever did with its sticky counterpart. In fact, peanut butter was an integral part of my childhood summer camp memories. It was in everything! We indulged in pb & j sandwiches on hikes, enjoyed ants on a log in the meadow, and our signature granola was always peanut butter flavored!
Needless to say, coming to Schechter and working in a facility that is nut free has been causing some serious peanut butter withdrawal. Some of my favorite recipes have it as a key ingredient. Luckily, I found sunflower seed butter which mimics the flavor pretty well while keeping our facility completely free of allergens!
This no bake recipe is quick, easy and scrumptious. This recipe goes far, as just a small bar will be plenty; they are very rich. Enjoy!
Makes one 9 x 13 inch pan
Yield 48 bars
As Needed Non-Stick Cooking Spray
2 Packages - Graham Crackers
2 Cups - Sunflower Seed Butter
¾ Cup - Butter, softened
2 Cups - Powdered Sugar, sifted
1 Package - Parve Chocolate Chips
1. Spray the 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside for later.
2. Place the graham crackers in a plastic bag and break into crumbs. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together 1 ¼ cups sunflower seed butter and softened butter until creamy.
4. Add sifted powdered sugar to butter mixture and cream until thoroughly combined.
5. Add graham cracker crumbs and mix well. Press evenly into the greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.
6. In a microwave safe bowl, combine parve chocolate chips and remaining ¾ cup sunflower seed butter. Heat for 30 second intervals and stir well after each heating until mixture is completely melted and smooth. Be careful to not overheat the mixture or the chocolate will scorch or seize and harden.
7. Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the sunbutter base and spread out evenly.
8. Chill in refrigerator until the bars are firm and chocolate topping is completely set.
9. Cut the bars into 6 by 8 rows with a sharp knife.
10. Enjoy or wrap with plastic and save for later!
Note: It is possible to make these parve. If you do a direct swap Earth Balance for butter and find the right brand of graham crackers that are parve and not specifically kosher dairy!